Monday, December 7, 2015

Whas Up!!!

Here we are taking up a cattle guard that is no longer needed.

I in the loader and Wallace in the skid steer had just settled down for a long winter's nap...oh...that's another story isn't it!!! I am in the loader intently watching for directions from Darrell, our supervisor here at Attwater National Wildlife Refuge. He and Russ, another volunteer, have chained me up, now I lift and drive it over to load it on the trailer. After Darrell puts down a culvert, Wallace, in the skid steer, gets to level the road.


Here I am unloading the cattle guards at the Renz barn...by now we have uprooted 5 or 6 of them, and stacked them at the barn.



On my way back in, I stopped to get this photo of the windmill.

I saw several prairie chickens in this area.


We have been getting lots of rain, leaving potholes in the road.

I am scooping, emptying the load in the dump truck...the guys take three truck loads out, empty them in the areas needing filled...then I level the loads out.

Now you get to see me in action...a very short clip.

Have I mentioned lately how much fun we have here?




We do a lot of other stuff too. The guys are installing a running board which will make it a lot easier to get into the truck!!!

Another thing we did was driving the recyclables to Brenham. 

A basket was requested for the Polaris. Here the guys are installing that.

Of course, some of these things require purchasing giving us the excuse to stop for lunch somewhere while we are out. We time it right!!!

We have insulated pipes, cleaned equipment, swept and organize the shop (never ending), and various other things.

I try to let my pictures do the talking...but with this smartphone, it hasn't been easy!!!


While I was out working on the roads, Darrell and Wallace installed this sign for a new trail. We had painted the 4X4's earlier.

I mentioned earlier, we are having a new road put in (not by us). It is being widened with a new parking lot for visitors. They are to be finished up by the end of December.

Talked with David at Big Branch Marsh, another refuge where we will be going next...that is North of New Orleans. You may recall, we have been there before...this making the third time. He is eager to have us back!!! He is keeping our spot open for us. It is so nice to be LOVED and wanted. We always find it hard NOT to go back to places like this. We miss Maine so much, another place where they know how to treat us. Oh well....

This catches us up.

Until next time...

ps Welcome Doug to our blog. We appreciate the readers who join in as members. It really isn't painful!!! We have a lot of ghost readers out there!!! 


7 comments:

  1. You sure look like you're having fun! I'd admit.... those "guy" thing aren't really my thing, but I sure do love seeing other people having a good time getting those things done. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you are loving the blog...you are so faithful...and thanks for the comments!!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did as well. How long before you head to LA? WE are leaving Vermont on 12/26 with the rig heading to Phoenix where we will fly to Honolulu. Weather will be a factor but we might be in your area. Never know!! Love you guys, DB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We leave on the 28th...it would be great to see y'all!!! Love y'all too.

      Delete
  3. In your next life, are you going to be a farmer or work for the highway department.

    ReplyDelete