Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Pie Town

Would you travel over 100 miles for a piece of pie?  Well, we did.

Just had to check out what people were talking about!!!




This is the place we picked for our "pie" experience. I highly recommend it. The people are very friendly.

When we walked in the door, my question for the waitress was, "do you have coconut cream pie today?" She said she had only one piece left...I was in luck. A fellow sitting at the counter said I could not have it as it was his piece and he would arm wrestle me for it!!! We bantered back and forth...the bottom line is, he secretly paid for my piece of pie. Found out his name is Steve and he lives in Pie Town. The waitress is from Alabama and has 40 acres near Pie Town. I asked her what happens in an area like this if you get really sick. Found out they pay $40.00 a year for air lift. I could handle that...I fell in love with the area and the people who live there.


There I am with my coconut cream pie, my favorite. Wallace had their New Mexico apple pie (with chili's). It was lunch time also so we enjoyed a burger first.



We found other things to do on our way.

We saw this sign and decided to check it out and were glad we did.


Another  beautiful canyon where we hiked around enjoying the beauty. Found a cholla walking stick, another stick I have longed for.



There were caves we explored as well.




We crossed the divide and saw many beautiful mountains with interesting colors and columns.




On the way is another place we visited.

The Very Large Array. It is a powerful telescope that observes the universe, night and day.

There are 27 dish shaped antennas that are tuned to a kind of light that eyes cannot see. The light is in the form of radio waves. It is an amazing place!!!

Until next time...






7 comments:

  1. That pie looks very tasty! I'm not sure I've ever had coconut cream pie. I usually pick banana cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a pie person, but we've stayed at the Datil campground a few times. Great road... especially if you like some ups and downs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will go a long way for good pie!! And coconut cream is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will go a long way for good pie!! And coconut cream is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was worth the drive. Coconut Pie is my favorite. 😊 virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so jealous. We saw a segment on CBS Sunday Morning about Pie Town. Are several varieties served each day. David would go for chocolate cream. For Marianne, it would depend on the offerings that day...perhaps cherry. None would be so good as Carolyn's pecan pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a good variety of pies. Glad y'all liked that Texas pecan pie!!!

      Delete