Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Challenging Days on the Road

After leaving our friends in Vermont, we drove a total of 320 miles to get to the Wal-Mart in Milford, Pa. for the night.  We left on the 11th.

The weather was hot but the evening cooled off.

Squeeze play!!!  We had our fair share of road construction, especially in Pennsylvania.  This was not as closed in as some places.  This went on for some 7 miles.  You have to stay alert.

On the 12th, we overnighted at a Flying J after fueling up.  This was a long day...562 miles...to Wytheville, Virginia.  Now we have traveled 882 miles.

Now we come to Friday 13th...we pulled into a Pilot for fuel at White Pine, Tennessee.  Wallace inadvertently pumped in 5 gallons of gasoline in our diesel truck!!!  Oh no!!!  I have a major melt down.  Our mechanic back home told us, "do not drive it or start it, get it all out."  Here we are blocking the pumps for about two hours while we try to find out what we should do.  I remembered David said he had done that...he thinks it was the same station!!!  We talked to David and a local mechanic.  We added some additive and transmission fluid...then filled it the rest of the way with diesel.  It worked...we were on our way.  There was a lot more that went on but I will spare you.  After 12 years on the road...this was a first.

We are now at a C.O.E. park in Demopolis, Al. We find a spot we like, signed up for # 40 for two nights.  Perfect since we are to be at Big Branch on the 16th. We have full hook ups!!!

After unhooking and leveling with a sigh of relief, Wallace went to the gate to settle things up when he was told we could have the space for one night. She made a mistake and we would have to move tomorrow, GREAT.  What else can go awry?

We drive into Demopolis for something to eat...find a KFC.  Well, I end up getting sick.  I thought I was coming down with the flu with all the symptoms.  Thank God, it just lasted 24 hours.

We found a pull through, #7 for the second night...we did not even unhitch...we could not move into that site until 3:00pm.  Anyway, it all worked out for the best.

So here we are crossing into Louisiana...not much farther to go now.

We are so glad to be back in the south for a while.  Good southern food, and the freshest seafood from the Gulf of Mexico.  YUM.

Now we are settled in our new home place for the next three months.  

There are 3 volunteer couples all nestled in our campground.

We made it.

Until next time...


  1. We head out in about 5 weeks.. looking forward to traveling but not the unexpected parts! glad you made it "home" safe and sound.

  2. Sounds like a trip with a lot of trials and tribulations.... glad you did make it there okay. Hope it goes well from here on ....

  3. If we ever end up with gas in our diesel tank, we'll give you a call for advice. Sorry about the tough day. Hope you next 3 months go well.

  4. We are really hoping our next 3 months go well too. Thanks.

  5. Hey I recognize that campground! Sounds like you had an adventurous trip! I am always afreaid I might "get it wrong" when I have to fuel up the truck so I am glad I am not the only one! Sorry Wallace! Hope you enjoy your time aat SELANWR we certainly enjoyed all the people we met, great food, and of course the refuge itself. Say hello to everyone for us and keep us posted!

  6. Sounds like some trying times. I seem to recall pumps somewhere in the Northeast where the gasoline pumps had the green handles and the diesel pumps were black. Really confusing...